5 Healthy Additions to Your Morning Yogurt
Updated: Jul 17, 2019
Yogurt for breakfast can be a quick and easy way to make sure you start your day off right. The best sort of yogurt to use is one that is live, full-fat and has been fermented for longer than 24 hours, this ensures it is full of beneficial bacteria and fat to keep you satiated and full for hours.
My top 5 additions to your morning yogurt are
1. Fruit - a delicious way to increase your vitamin intake for the day, keep fruit seasonal, locally grown and organic if possible. You could use fresh fruit, stewed fruit or dried fruit.
2. Nuts/Seeds - for a crunch and added healthy fats and nutrients sprinkle 1-2 tbsp of nuts or seeds over your morning yogurt. Brasil Nuts and pumpkin seeds are high in zinc which is aid healthy skin, hair, nails, wound repair and your immune system. Walnuts are a great form of omega fats so beneficial for your brain and nerves, almonds are beneficial for heart health, diabetes and weight management and sunflower seeds are beneficial for heart health, energy and cancer prevention.
3. Homemade Granola - for a different crunch 1/4 cup of homemade granola can set you up with a good amount of starchy carbs and fat to keep you satiated all morning. Granola is high in fiber which helps to keep your bowels healthy and blood sugars balanced and aids your digestive tract.
4. Chia Seeds - these little beauties are full of nutrients including healthy omega fats, protein and fiber. When gelled by mixing 1 tbsp chia seeds to 1 cup water chia seeds become more nutritious and are great at keeping your bowels healthy.
5. Spices - flavor your yogurt with spices including cinnamon which is beneficial for managing diabetes, it helps to lower inflammation and may protect against cancer. Or ginger which reduces muscle pain, relieves nausea including morning sickness and also helps to reduce inflammation. Nutmeg is another great spice to use which also reduces inflammation as well as boosting libido and mood.
What's your favourite way to have yogurt?
If you would like to find out how I can help you towards your healthy lifestyle goals contact me today.